This Level I Formation Course has been opened up to individuals around the United States by the national organization for the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. It will take place on two occasions. Lunch and afternoon snacks will be provided for participants during course sessions. Francis Fund Applications are accepted until July 1, 2019.
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) applies Montessori principles of education to catechesis of children. This model builds on the child's religious potential and nascent spirituality, serving the religious needs of the child. It respects the natural relationship that children experience with God.
Catechesis occurs in a religious environment called an atrium using objects and furniture that have been adapted to children's levels and needs. The children discover liturgical symbols, engage in stories of sacred Scripture and work with religious symbols and objects. Catechists are specifically trained to facilitate an encounter between Christ and the children through the use of Scripture and liturgy.
Throughout this course, catechists will be given the time:
- To explore the general developmental characteristics and the most essential religious needs of the 3 to 6 year old child
- To meditate on the Biblical and liturgical themes presented to the 3 to 6 year old as provided through the work of Sofia Cavalletti and Gianna Gobbi
- To further the catechist’s ability to observe and learn from the 3 to 6 year old child
- To nurture, with sensitivity, the 3 to 6 year old child’s spirituality
- To explore guidelines for preparing the Level I Atrium environment, making of materials and developing the catechist’s album
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. @
Saint Thomas More University Parish
1200 Oakland Avenue
Indiana, PA 15701
July 15 - 19 & July 29 - August 2, 2019
To register, please call the parish office at 724-463-2277, or email Diane Cawley or Mary Beth Palko with any questions, and fill-out the form below: